Are you looking for a healthy and delicious meal that’s not only packed with flavour but also inspired by the secrets of longevity? Look no further! This week Blake Proud created a fantastic recipe that combines the goodness of sweet potatoes with a zesty salsa, all while drawing inspiration from the Blue Zone lifestyle.
Before we get to the recipe, you’re probably wondering what the Blue Zone is. It’s not some mystical place but rather regions around the world where people live significantly longer and healthier lives compared to the global average. In a new Netflix documentary Live to 100: Secrets of the Blue Zones, The common factors among Blue Zone inhabitants? Exercise, food, and a strong sense of community. One of the most common ingredients mentioned was the humble sweet potato, which is why Blake has decided to make this vegetable the hero of this dish.
Roasted sweet potatoes with salsa and chipotle cream recipe
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 1 can of corn, drained and washed
- 1 can of black beans, drain and washed
- 1 capsicum, sliced and roasted
- 1 bunch of coriander
- 1 bunch of dill
- 1 wedge of lemon
- 1/2 can of coconut cream
- 4 tsp chipotle sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Rub the sweet potatoes with olive oils and salt then bake at 180°C for about 40 minutes or until soft.
- While baking your potatoes make your salsa salad by mixing the black beans, corn kernels, roasted capsicum, herbs and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Mix the chipotle sauce with the coconut cream then season with salt
- To serve, squash the sweet potato on a plate, top with the salsa, a drizzle of chipotle cream, olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
Budget-Friendly and Delicious
The best part? This Blue Zone-inspired vegan sweet potato salsa won’t break the bank. You’re looking at around $10-$12 for four servings. It’s even cheaper if you grow your own herbs!
Listen to Blake’s full chat with Kirste and Dan below!